- In order to remove the Avira program, go to Start – Settings – Control Panel – Add or Remove Programs (Windows 2000/ XP) or Start – Control Panel – Uninstall a program (Windows Vista / 7). Wait for the list of installed programs to load, then click the name of the Avira program.
- Click Remove next to the program’s name (Windows 2000 / XP) or in the menu above the list (Windows Vista / 7).
- Press Yes, to confirm the removal and then OK.
- Click Next until Finish. The software is removed.
- Restart the Computer
- Download Avira Registry Cleaner from http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner_en.zip
- Expand Registry Cleaner archive in a new folder, run it from there and remove all AntiVir remnants.
If you don’t know how to Expand/Extract Archive files, Go to How to > Compress and Extract Files.
If above solution did not work, continue with Manual uninstall.
- Save the license hbedv.key in a safe place. The hbedv.key, if available, is located in the program folder of Avira:
Depending on your installation or Windows language it may be
- C:ProgrammeAviraAntivir Desktop
- C:Program FilesAviraAntivir Desktop
- C:Program FilesAviraAntiVir PersonalEdition Premium
- C:Program FilesAviraAvira Premium Security Suite
- C:Program FilesAviraAvira Internet Security
- C:Program FilesAviraAntiVir Workstation
[box type=”note”]This is not necessary for Avira AntiVir Personal – Free Antivirus.[/box]
Download Avira Registry Cleaner from http://dl.antivir.de/down/windows/registrycleaner_en.zip Restart your computer into Safe Mode. (How to use Windows Safe Mode?) Removing Avira program files:
Start Windows Explorer, Then navigate to the directory C:Program Files or C:Programme. Here, delete all existing Avira AntiVir directories:C:Program FilesAvira*.*
[box type=”note”]In case you created a custom directory during AntiVir’s installation, delete it. Rename the Avira AntiVir directory if you should not be able to delete the above mentioned directories. After a restart in safe mode you can remove this directory.[/box] Removing Avira application files:
Start Windows Explorer, Then navigate to the directory C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication Data (Windows XP / 2000) or C:ProgramData (Windows 7 / Vista) . Here, delete all existing Avira AntiVir directories:For example:
C:Documents and SettingsAll UsersApplication DataAvira*.*
[box type=”note”]If the Application Data folder is hidden you should enable “Show Hidden Files” in folder options. (How to Show Hidden Files?)[/box]
Clean Windows Registry:
- Unpack the Avira Registry Cleaner in a folder of your choice. (How to Compress and Extract Files?)
- Run the RegistryCleaner program by clicking on RegCleaner.exe.
- After clicking on Scan for keysactivate the option Select all and click on Delete.
Uninstall completed, Restart your Computer now.